Out of State Visitor Arrests
Whether it is for business or pleasure, hundreds of thousands of tourists come to Alabama every year. College football games all over the state bring alumni from opposing universities, and visitors flock to attractions like the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville or the Alabama State Barbecue Cook-off at Decatur’s annual Riverfest.
Nobody intends to get into trouble with the law when they are visiting another state during vacation or on a business trip, but people can occasionally find themselves facing criminal charges for alleged misdemeanor or even felony offenses. It is important to understand that you cannot simply ignore the consequences of being arrested in Alabama just because you live in another state, as failing to deal with the offense can have profound implications later on.
Huntsville, Alabama Out of State Visitor Arrests Lawyer
If you were arrested for any criminal offense while visiting the greater Huntsville area, you should contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Law Offices Of Segal & Segal handles criminal cases in Madison County, Limestone County, Morgan County, Jackson County, and Marshall County.
Our firm represents clients who were arrested in Alabama but live out of state. We can assist in seeking the most favorable resolution to your case, and we will review your case during a free consultation when you call (256) 533-4529 or send us a message online to schedule a free, confidential consultation.
Overview of Madison County Out of State Visitor Arrests
- What kinds of offenses are visitors usually arrested for?
- What are some of the consequences visitors face for not hiring an attorney or ignoring the arrest?
- What kinds of punishments can a visitor face for an arrest in Alabama?
Some of the most common offenses that tourists and other visitors from out of state are arrested for in Alabama include:
- Disorderly Conduct
- Domestic Violence
- Driving While Under the Influence (DUI)
- Gun/Weapon Charges
- Marijuana Possession or Possession of Another Controlled Substance
- Property Crimes
- Sex Crimes
- Serious Traffic Offenses
- Violent Crimes
If you were arrested in the greater Huntsville area, it can be extremely difficult to attempt to resolve your case without the help of a lawyer. Additionally, you can make matters worse for yourself by simply fleeing the state and not dealing with charges. Some of the consequences:
- Possible Double Penalties — Alabama is one of 45 states that are member of the Driver License Compact (DLC). This interstate compact allows states to exchange information about traffic violations. For example, if you received a DUI in Alabama, this information could be forwarded to your home state and may result in additional punishments.
- Frequent Court Appearances — The biggest benefit of hiring a local Alabama attorney to represent you in court after a criminal offense in the Huntsville area is that your legal counsel can appear on your behalf and work to limit any costly and time-consuming personal appearances you would otherwise be required to make.
- Impact on Criminal Record — By ignoring any court dates that were the result of your arrest, you also run the risk of the offense appearing on your criminal record and impacting your ability to gain certain employment or housing.
Do not assume that prosecutors in the Huntsville area will go easy on you just because you are from out of town. Attempting to handle your case on your own or simply ignoring the case can result in a conviction that can carry such stiff consequences as:
- Class C Misdemeanor — A county jail sentence of up to three months and a $500 maximum fine
- Class B Misdemeanor — A county jail sentence of up to six months and a $3,000 maximum fine
- Class A Misdemeanor — A county jail sentence of up to one year and a $6,000 maximum fine
- Class C Felony — A prison sentence of up to 10 years and a $15,000 maximum fine
- Class B Felony — A prison sentence of up to 20 years and a $30,000 maximum fine
- Class A Felony — Prison sentence of up to life and a $60,000 maximum fine
Find the Best Out of State Visitor Arrests Lawyer in Huntsville
Do not think that what happened in Alabama stays in Alabama. If you were arrested for any sort of criminal offense while you were in the Huntsville area, Law Offices Of Segal & Segal can work to avoid having you make unnecessary return trips and make sure that you face the fewest possible punishments.
Sandra Segal and Andrew Segal are both former prosecutors who have a wealth of experience on how criminal cases are handled by both sides. They can review your case and discuss your legal options with you when you send us an online message or call (256) 533-4529 to arrange a free, no obligation consultation.