Contact Us for a Free Consultation (256) 533-4529

City of Madison Municipal Court.


What you need to know if you have court in the City of Madison Municipal Court.

Where is the court located?

The court is located at 100 Hughes Rd, Madison, AL 35758

Bail Information
  • You may post a cash or property bond during regular business hours
  • Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
  • You may contact a local professional bonding company 24 hours a day
  • You may post a cash bond online 24 hours a day at
What sort of cases are handled at this courthouse?

The Madison municipal Cour resolves misdemeanor criminal and traffic offenses that occur within the city of Madison.

Most misdemeanor crimes and traffic offenses that occur within the city limits of Madison are heard by the Madison Municipal Court.

What sort of punishment can I expect if I am convicted of a crime in Madison Municipal Court?

Under state law, the maximum sentence for a misdemeanor is one year in jail, however, with the exception of DUI, the maximum sentence in the Madison Municipal Court is 180 days in jail and a fine of $500. If you are found guilty of a charge driving under the influence, you could face up to one year in jail and a fine as high as $2100 on a first offense. If it is the third conviction for DUI your maximum fine could be as high as  $10,100.00.

How does the City of Madison Municipal Court operate?

The City of Madison has one Municipal Court judge who is is responsible for the hundreds of cases that passed through this court..

Typically, the court conducts trials on each Thursday of the week and arraignments on each Friday.

What can I expect to happen at my arraignment?

If you have a case in this court, your first step will be an arraignment. At the arraignment, you will tell the judge whether you are pleading guilty or not guilty.

You will be expected to either plead guilty, not guilty or not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect at the time of your arraignment. If you plead guilty, the judge will sentence you.

If you enter a plea of not guilty your case will be reset for another time.

For those individuals not able to afford an attorney City of Madison Municipal Court will consider appointing an attorney. The judge will decide on a case-by-case basis, whether or not a person qualifies for a court-appointed lawyer. You should be aware that if the court appoint you a lawyer and you either plead guilty or are found guilty or even if your case is dismissed, you may be required to reimburse the city for the cost of that lawyer.

If you are able to afford to hire an attorney you should retain the services of a competent criminal defense lawyer as quickly as possible.

How does my case proceed after my arraignment?

After the arraignment, your case will be scheduled for trial. On your trial date, your case will be resolved either by the trial, a guilty plea or some form of dismissal. Before the judge will determine whether you're guilty or innocent based upon the evidence presented before them or through some other form of negotiations that could result in a guilty plea, a dismissal, or an agreement that the charts will be dismissed. If you successfully complete some type of counseling program.

Is there a non-trial or pre-trial diversion option available for me?

It is possible to resolve your case by attending some sort of counseling with the end result being the dismissal of the charges. In the city of Madison, the prosecutor will make a decision on a case-by-case basis as to whether or not allowing you to attend some sort of counseling in lieu of prosecution is appropriate. If you have a lawyer, your lawyer will contact the prosecutor and try to negotiate a fair resolution to your case. If you can possibly resolve your case without a conviction, this will greatly benefit you both because you will not have a conviction record and because. iIf you would like to seek the expungement of your criminal record at some point in the future.

Be aware that these programs require you to accept responsibility for your actions and to take appropriate measures to correct whatever behavior led to your being arrested. If you are asserting that you are not guilty of the crime than these nontrial options will not be available to you.,

What happens if I want to appeal my case?

If you have been found guilty, you may choose to appeal your case. You may choose to appeal your case the Circuit Court of Madison County and request that the case be reheard before a jury. While seldom used, some people may choose to appeal directly to the court of criminal appeals to address a specific legal issue. If you wish to appeal your case you must provide the court with notice and you must complete all necessary paperwork within 14 days or less. If you fail to complete your appeal prior to the deadline your appeal will be denied.

If you have pled guilty with a plea agreement, you have probably have waived your right to appeal as most plea agreements at the Municipal Court contain language stating you are explicitly waiting your right to appeal.

Visitor information.

There are a limited number of parking spots in front of the Madison Municipal Courthouse. The spots for quite quickly so, It is suggested that you arrive for court at least 15 minutes in advance of your court time.

Be aware that you will be required to pass through the metal detector on your way to court. You should not have any guns, knives were any illegal substances on you. You are subject to search and if you have any illegal substances. You could be arrested.

While you may choose to bring family members, if you have small children who are loud or otherwise misbehave, you may need to remain outside of the courtroom.

Court Clerk
Phone: (256) 772-5625
If you have a criminal or serious traffic case in the city of Madison Municipal Court and you'd like our help, just contact us here:
  • This field is required.
  • This field is required.
  • This field is required.
  • This field is required.
  • This field is required.